Date: 30/12/1890



Place: Milano

ID: CLET000475




100

p.189-190-191-192

CLET000475

 

 

 

Milano, 30 Dic. 1890

 

Illustre Maestro ,

Oggi le spedisco i conti del 2° semestre: mi spiace che non sieno brillanti come avrei desiderato!... ma le condizioni economiche del paese sono così tristi, che tutti ne risentono la scossa, e primi i teatri!! - Speriamo ritorni un poco di pace e di benessere generale!.... che proprio sarebbe una provvidenza. In questi giorni.... poi, per conto mio, ebbi una sequela di noje, al cui confronto il supplizio di San Sebastiano è zero!... e v'aggiunga, per salsa, che Giuditta e Manolo sono a letto col mal di gola!... per cui anche in casa è un'allegria da non dire. Pare però che tanto per l'una, come per l'altro si tratti di cosa leggiera, e cosi spero saranno presto ristabiliti.

Jeri mattina ebbi la stimata sua del 28 corr  e più tardi, come mi annunciava, la visita del Monaldi , il quale mi espose tutto lo stato del suo affare del Costanzi , e quanto in proposito ebbe a dire con Lei. Perciò che riguarda il desideratissimo Pancione (salute e viva a lui!!) io mi sono ben guardato dal disturbarla, e dal dirle tutte le richieste fatte, ed alle quali risposi come potevo, e come doveva (sic), cioè che l'opera non è finita, che l'opera è del Maestro Verdi e di nessun'altro, per cui erano richieste alle quali in nessun modo potevo rispondere. Però debbo avvertirla che appena saputa la notizia, il primo a telegrafare fu Canori  per Roma , poi venne D'Ormeville , per Canori sempre, e sempre risposi allo stesso modo. Il progetto Monaldi , dato s'intende bene che tutte le circostanze necessarie si avverino (Dio lo voglia!... e Verdi pure!!) viene dunque a tagliare le gambe al povero Canori . Ma Monaldi ha preso la strada diretta!! - ed ha parlato direttamente con Lei. Oggi fu qui ancora Monaldi , e fu qui pure D'Ormeville , il quale, s'intende, portava a spada tratta la priorità della richiesta di Canori: ma poi capì che ciò non poteva mantenersi, data la mia risposta, completamente evasiva e dichiarante che a me non spettava prendere impegno qualsiasi.

Però nel desiderio di conciliare tutti, proposi che: qualora il Maestro si decidesse a far rappresentare l'opera, si potesse ottenere da lui la facoltà che Canori possa farne la prima riproduzione, dopo l'andata in scena, in un gran teatro, poi il Monaldi al Costanzi .

Ben inteso, che tutto questo io proposi in via d'ipotesi, perché dichiarai ed all'uno, ed all'altro che in nessun modo io mi credevo autorizzato a qualsiasi fatto positivo. Il Monaldi mi parve sia soddisfatto di tale combinazione, la quale d'altra parte è sempre subordinata alle condizioni accennate nella di Lei lettera - e mi pare soddisfatto anche perché non desidera mettersi in urto con Canori . Ma da quanto ho capito, Monaldi avrebbe preso il Costanzi non per altro scopo che per dare Falstaff "una volta nato" com'Ella mi scrive - e perciò si è rivolto a Lei, perché senza di tale favorevolissima ipotesi, non si sarebbe azzardato in un affare simile.

In seguito quindi alla di lei lettera, ed alle ripetute conferenze avute jeri ed oggi col Monaldi , la prego dirmi esattamente come debba contenermi.

Sta bene che a tranquillare e Monaldi e Canori , possa dire loro che, qualora Falstaff  venga rappresentato, potrà effettuarsi la combinazione proposta, sempre che vi sia il consenso dell'autore?

Il Monaldi è partito stassera [sic] per Roma , ed aspetta colà una risposta, per me assai difficile, perché in nessun modo ho veste od autorizzazione per farla.

Crede Lei, Maestro, che un quid simile  andrebbe bene: "Alla di Lei richiesta riflettente l'opera "Falstaff ” del Maestro Verdi , dobbiamo rispondere che noi non siamo autorizzati a prendere qualsiasi impegno, perché l'opera non solo non è finita, ma, com'è naturale, appartiene all'autore. "Se l'opera verrà rappresentata, e che allora il Teatro Costanzi possa somministrare tutti gli elementi necessari, noi crediamo che il Maestro Verdi non avrà difficoltà a che sia riprodotta al Teatro Costanzi stesso, ben inteso che ciò le diciamo senza alcuna assicurazione da parte nostra perché, ripetiamo, non abbiamo autorizzazione alcuna a ciò fare"

Mi duole darle queste noje! ma.....come si fa?...cerco risparmiargliele tutte o quasi tutte...e taccio: un pò forzatamente, ma taccio: qui però, in seguito alla di Lei lettera, non ho potuto a meno di pregarla perché mi indichi come contenermi, trattandosi di un caso affatto speciale come questo del M.se Monaldi .

Freddo anche a Milano , ma senza vento!!...e veda, quale cattiveria !!..auguro tempeste e venti a Genova .... per farli scappare un pò a Milano! Oh!..che consolazione! che festa!..che piacere.

Ed oggi espressamente non faccio auguri, perché per cominciare bene l'anno, saranno quelli i primi che farò a Lei, ed alla Siga Peppina - ed intanto col più grato animo mi ripeto

 

di Lei dmo

Giulio Ricordi

100.

pp. 189-192

CLET000475

 

Milan, 30 Dec. 1890

 

Illustrious Maestro ,

   Today I am sending you the financial statements for the 2nd semester. I am sorry that they are not as splendid as I would have hoped!... but the country’s economic conditions are so sad that everyone feels the effects, and the theatres are the first to suffer!! – Let us hope for the return of a bit of peace and general well-being!.... which would really be a godsend these days…. then too I have my own trail of troubles, which make the torture of St. Sebastian seem like nothing!... and to top it off, Giuditta and Manolo are confined to bed with sore throats!... so that even at home we are hardly bursting with joy. It would appear however that the condition of neither is serious, so that we can hope they will soon be back in form.

   Yesterday morning I received your welcome letter of the 28th of this month, and later, just as you told me, a visit from Monaldi , who gave me a complete rundown concerning the state of affairs at the Costanzi , and what he had said to you. With regard to that most highly coveted Big Belly (a toast to his health and happiness!!), I have made it a point not to bother you and tell you how many requests have been made, to which I responded as best I could and should, which is to say that the opera is not finished, that since the opera belongs to Maestro Verdi alone their requests could in no way be addressed to me. However, I must warn you that once the news was out Canori was the first to telegraph me for Rome , then came D’Ormeville , always for Canori , and my response remained the same. The Monaldi project, understood of course that all of the necessary circumstances can come together (God willing!... and Verdi too!!) would undercut poor Canori . But Monaldi took the direct route!! – and he spoke straight away with you. Monaldi was here again today, as was D’Ormeville , who obviously whole-heartedly insisted that Canori ’s request should have first consideration; but then he understood it was not possible, given my completely evasive response in which I declared that it was not up to me to make any commitment whatsoever.

   However, in an effort to placate everyone, I proposed that if the Maestro should decide to have the opera performed, he might agree that Canori could have the first performance after the premiere, in a major theatre, then Monaldi at the Costanzi . Be it understood that I offered this as a hypothesis, because I declared to both the one and the other that in no way did I feel authorized to make any definitive accord. Monaldi seemed satisfied by this arrangement, which is, besides, always subject to the conditions mentioned in your letter – and he also seemed satisfied because he had no desire to encounter any trouble with Canori . But from what I have understood, Monaldi apparently took the Costanzi for no other reason than to offer Falstaff   “once it is born”, as you have put it – and consequently he went to you, because without that highly favorable hypothesis he would not have risked such a venture.

Therefore, as a follow-up to your last letter and in consideration of the repeated meetings I had yesterday and today with Monaldi , please tell me exactly how I should proceed.

   Would it be acceptable that, in order to reassure both Monaldi and Canori , I tell them that if Falstaff should be performed, the proposed arrangement can be made just as long as the composer agrees?

   Monaldi left this evening for Rome , and he will wait there for a response that I find extremely difficult to give because I am in no way authorized to do so.

   Perhaps you think, Maestro, that a quid simile [something like this] might suffice: “With regard to your request concerning the opera Falstaff by Maestro Verdi , we must respond that we are not authorized to undertake any commitment because, not only is the opera not yet finished, but, naturally, it belongs to the composer. In the event that the opera will be performed, and that the Teatro Costanzi can undertake the management of everything that is necessary, we believe that Maestro Verdi will have no objection to it being staged at the Teatro Costanzi , although it must be understood that we say this without any assurance on our part because, we repeat, we have no authorization to do so.”

   It pains me to bother you with these annoyances! but….. what is one to do?... I try to spare you all or nearly all of them… and I keep silent – with some effort, but I keep silent. Here, however, after your letter, I cannot help but beg you to tell me what I should do, given that this matter with M. Monaldi is such a special case.

   It is cold in Milan as well, but without any wind!!... see there, how wicked I am!!.. that I hope for bad weather and wind in Genoa …. to make you want to escape for a while to Milan! Oh!.. what consolation it would be! what cause for celebration!.. what a pleasure.

   Today I am expressly not giving new year’s greetings to anyone, because to begin the year well my first ones will be those I extend to you and to Sig.ra Peppina – and meanwhile with my utmost gratitude I remain

Yours most devotedly,

Giulio Ricordi


Named works
Falstaff


Named theatres
Teatro dell'Opera

Tipology copialettere
Sub-tipology letter
Writing manuscript
Language italian

Physical Attributes
No. Sheets 4

Letter name DOC01827.100
Volume Signature DOC01827
Year 1888-1901
Volume 01
Pag 189-192
No. pag 4